Friday, October 28, 2011

Sharing Time

Unfortunately my Shakespeare sharing didn't go over as well as I had hoped.
For sharing locally, I was somewhat more successful than in my "global" efforts. I attempted to start a few conversations with co-workers about "Taming of the Shrew". The first time went over better than the others. A girl I work with was telling me about her past relationship problems and I was able to tie in "Taming of the Shrew" and how some people's personalities are better suited to be with certain people. As I mentioned in a previous post, Petruchio and Kate were a good couple because they are very similar personality types. We also talked about the amount of submissiveness that should be given to one's partner and if one member of the couple should be allowed to dominate.
The second attempt with other female co-workers was when one of them mentioned "10 Things I Hate About You". I thought, "What a convenient segway," but when I started comparing Heath Ledger's character to Petruchio (you know, the character his was based off of) I got blank stares and a "Who?"  I explained who Petruchio was, but they had become uncomfortable and moved on. I guess Shakespeare really does make some people awkward.

As for sharing globally, I didn't seem to get much luck. I found a page on Facebook about Shakespeare and posted a question about Petruchio and Kate's relationship and how other people perceived it. I linked back to this blog and my previous "Taming of the Shrew" posts. I looked around on the page for people talking about the play, but didn't find much. Mostly people were just posting their favorite quotes from plays. Unfortunately this page is probably much less popular than some of the others that exist, and probably doesn't get as much traffic. But maybe someday I'll get a response.

2 comments:

  1. I had a very similar experience, it is much harder to contribute meaningfully on a global scale. I found that I learned a lot about how to do it, but should have started MUCH earlier to actually start looking around... three weeks in my case wasn't enough. It is a good skill to have, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found that sharing online was a lot harder than it should have been. I feel like we already do it in a way just with blogging and putting thoughts out there, but it's almost impossible to be sure that someone else will respond in a way you want them to. If you don't dig past the surface level of the internet then all you find is shallow talk.

    ReplyDelete